Thursday, June 21, 2007

thank god for glasses

At the eye doctor's office this week, I flippantly remarked to the optometrist, "Man, what would my life have been like in 1800?" in regard to my horrible eyesight and lack of corrective lenses at that time.

He replied, "You'd probably be dead."

Pause.

"No offense!" he added helpfully.

"None taken!" I said, thinking, "damn, that's probably true!" If I hadn't fallen off a cliff, I probably would've been plowed over by a horse.

Which led me to think about all the other reasons why, in 1800, I probably wouldn't have lived until the ripe old age of 32:
  • at least 1 of my many childhood Strep throat infections would have caused endocarditis.
  • Probably would've come down with mastoiditis from 1 of my 10 zillion childhood ear infections.
  • I don't think they had emergency C-sections in 1800!

With all the hullabaloo about the American health care system, you still gotta appreciate that's it's good to be in the here and now.

4 comments:

towwas said...

Yeah, seriously. That bout of blood poisoning in elementary school could've gotten me.

J-Vo said...

Not to mention all your near-fatal bouts with HFMTD.

grrrbear said...

I would have been struck down by congenital baldness, probably.

The only reason I'm still alive today is because of all the steroid injections. They're why I'm so buff.

...yep...ripped, that's me.

towwas said...

God, yes, the HFMTD. I think it always went away more or less on its own, though, didn't it? Maybe some over-the-counter meds, but I think I would've survived it. Or not. It's a hell of a disease.