Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I don't wanna be no stupid grrrrl.

Timecards are dumb.

They are especially dumb when one is a salaried employee (i.e. NOT paid by the hour).

So you can imagine the surprise I had when I was told by the Human Resources chick that I had to fill one out biweekly. She handed me this 8 x 11" card, with many complex rows, columns, abbreviations, and no clear instructions. So I asked her, "How do I fill this out?" With a blank stare on her face she replied, "Um, it's a timecard. You just fill it out." Ohhhhhhhhh.

So I "just filled it out." And apparently, despite my 13 years of higher education, did it incorrectly and have since been subject to many frenzied, panicked phone calls from various accounting offices exclaiming over whether or not I was going to do it right the next time.

Because god forbid that someone who is automatically paid to work 32 hours per week notate said hours incorrectly on a timecard that looks like it was printed in 1937. And god also forbid her employer from demonstrating the secret hospital timecard language upon hiring.

7 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

I had a similar experience here - they always send us a notice about filing timecards, and I can access one online, but then I asked someone else if we had to do it, and they looked at me like "What are you talking about?" Apparently we never do them, which makes sense given that people in my occupation don't really work regular hours. I guess I don't need to tell anyone when I take sick/vacation days, either.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David J said...

Obviously you didn't get the memo that they're putting cover sheets on all the TPS reports.

grrrbear said...

Really? I'm salaried and I never have to fill out a timecard...

Maybe it's a medicine and academia thing. No wonder medical costs are out of control - obviously everyone is filling out their timecards wrong.

towwas said...

Yeah, I'm salaried and technically I have some kind of timecard online, but someone else is in charge of it. There's some assistant down the hall who sends out a message every couple of weeks asking if we took any time off, then she makes sure the timecard gets filled out and submitted. It is a fine system, if you ask me.

J-Vo said...

What is stupid is...it doesn't matter how long I sit here, it matters how much I charge for my valuable time. Why they care how long I plant my ass in this chair is beyond me...

J.Po said...

Dude. I'm salaried and I fill out a time card and it's stupid. Even when I work 10 hour days, I still write that I've worked for 8 hours. Because like you, it doesn't matter. I get paid the same, regardless. Ugh.