Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Go away, already!

As a hip, seasoned music lover, I feel that over the past 15 years I have more than paid my dues, and therefore am entitled to NEVER have to listen to certain songs ever again. And that said songs should be summarily banned from the radio, never again to poison the airwaves. These songs are historically overrated and way overplayed, and I feel that erasing them from the collective memory of American pop culture would be doing the country a great service.

Be prepared to say goodbye to:

Hey Jealousy- Gin Blossoms (um, anything by GB, for that matter)
No Rain- Blind Melon
What's Going On- 3 Non Blondes

Among others!

8 comments:

towwas said...

Aw, I still like No Rain and What's Going On. They take me back. Of course, I don't think I've heard them on the radio since 1994, so that helps.

J-Vo said...

Dear GOd, I hear them every week. It's like I'm in the Twilight ZOne.

David J said...

My own list has everything from "Joshua Tree" on it. Great album, but is there anyone on earth who has not yet hear "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" about 900 times?? Yet I can't drive 15 miles without hearing at least two songs from it.

J.Po said...

I'm trying to avert my eyes from the blasphemous comment about 'Joshua Tree'.

J-Vo said...

Gotta give some mad props to Dahvay for making that ballsy move. Way to think out of the box, and I actually agree with you.

towwas said...

Dahvay, you are dead to me.

David J said...

Hey, I'm not saying the album isn't great, just that there's no reason to play those songs on the radio, given that (a) everyone owns the album, and (b) everyone has heard the main songs from it over and over and over. It's one thing if you are listening to an oldies station: ok, there's a finite number of songs to play from any era, and you might as well play the best. But I'm talking about Joshua Tree songs being played on modern contemporary "alternative" stations. That makes no sense, and it annoys me no end.

towwas said...

Ok, ok. Maybe it would annoy me, too, if I ever listened to the radio. And if we *had* a modern "alternative" station. I've kind of lost track, but I don't think there is one in the DC area right now (the radio stations keep changing).